type of exam qs
- Define: just give a formal statement or equivalent paraphrase being required.
- Describe: state the main points (using diagram where appropriate) about what happen.
- Determine: usually means value cannot be measured directly, so has to be obtained from a graph or calculation.
- Explain: give scientific reasons why something happen.
- List: requires a number of points, generally each of one word, with no elaboration.
- Predict: make a prediction, not from recall.
- State: just give a concise answer, no supporting argument needed.
- Suggest: more than one answer possible, so apply knowledge of the subject and give a reasonable scientific answer
experimental skills and investigations
- demonstrate knowledge of how to safely use techniques, apparatus and materials.
- plan experiments and investigations.
- make and record observations, measurements and estimates.
- interpret and evaluate experimental observations and data.
- evaluate methods and suggest possible improvements.